Musical Instrument Tuition
We have many instrument teachers who come into school each week to teach individual musical instrument lessons. If you would like your child to learn an instrument please see the contact details below for further information:
Piano (from after Easter Holidays in Year 1) - contact http://www.hertsmusicservice.org.uk/music-lessons/
Clarinet and Saxophone (From Year 3), Dood and J Sax (From Year 2) –contact http://www.hertsmusicservice.org.uk/music-lessons/
The Following instruments are taught by private instrumental teachers who visit the school and do not have the same terms as Herts Music Service:
Trumpet, Cornet (from Year 2), French Horn (from Year 3), Trombone (from Year 3) - contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Guitar (from Year 3) contact www.rockandpopfoundation.com
Flute (from Year 3) contact email@example.com
Cello (from Year 2) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Drums (kit not percussion) – contact email@example.com
Lesson rates vary between teachers, please contact them for their rates and any information you may require about learning the instrument.
If you would like to learn a musical instrument outside of the school day please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of private teachers.
If enough children would like to learn an instrument during the school day that is not listed above we will endeavour to find a teacher to come in to teach that instrument. Please contact email@example.com.
We also offer Trumpet club for Year 2 children who want to have fun whilst learning trumpet in a small group and mini maestros for year ones for general musicianship (currently not available during Covid).
- For instrument lessons during the school day (not including trumpet club, drum club or mini maestros), children may only choose one instrument to minimise lessons missed. The specialist teachers will assess your choice and advise you. Advice can also be given on any other instrument we do not offer in school.
- Please note the list of private instrument teachers available from firstname.lastname@example.org if your child would like to learn additional instruments over and above the one allowed in school.
- Music teachers will endeavour to ensure the pupils do not miss the same class subject each week.
It is a wonderful experience to be able to play a musical instrument and be part of an ensemble of musicians, but there is also an additional time commitment as well.
- Children need to understand that in opting to receive lessons they are undertaking a commitment which extends beyond the weekly lesson and involves practice at home.
- Parents also make a commitment to ensure that the children practise at home and they will be given guidance on how they can involve themselves in the continuity of learning by the teachers concerned.
- Named Instruments should be brought into school on the day of the relevant music lesson and pupils should store them in the Instrument Store room on the KS1 corridor. Pupils must take care of their (and others') instruments as the school cannot be held liable for any damage caused. Pupils should take their instruments home on the same day and not leave them overnight.
Learning with Herts Music Service: Piano, Clarinet and Saxophone
- Fees are payable termly and payment is requested via Hertfordshire Music Service who will invoice you directly. Children who receive free school meals will be able to apply for help with music fees. Please ask at the school office.
- Parents need to be aware that the Music Service is a service provided by the Local Authority. The contract that parents enter into is with the Music Service and not the school. Under the terms of the contract, at least half a term’s notice is required if you wish to cancel the agreement. Half a term's notice must be given if you are stopping lessons. Failure to give sufficient notice means that parents are liable to pay for the half term.
- Please visit www.hertsmusicservice.org.uk for further information.
Instruments for Hire: Violins, Cellos, Trumpets and Small Desktop Keyboards
- The above instruments may be available to hire from the school at a cost of £35.00 per term. The music teachers will advise parents about size. Details of where to hire instruments outside of school can be obtained from teachers.